Voter Registration and Election Information

Registrar of Voters:  Michelle Clifford

Town Clerk and Deputy Registrar of Voters: Sonya M. Willis

If you have information that could help us maintain the accuracy of the voter list please call the registrar at (207) 785-3658 or email the information to

Q.  How do I register to vote?

A.  Residents of Union may register to vote at the Town Office during normal business hours.  You may also register to vote at the polls on Election day.  Please be aware that proof of residency and picture identification is required to register to vote.  Proof of residency is any documentation that shows your current Union residence address, not a post office box.

Q.  Where do I vote?

A.  All residents of Union vote at the Town Office, 567 Common Road, in the downstairs meeting room.  Parking is available behind the building. 

Q.  What time are the polls open?

A.  Union polls open at 8:00 a.m. and close at 8:00 p.m.

Q.  How do I get an Absentee Ballot?

A.  If you are unable to vote at the polls on Election Day, you may request an absentee ballot.  The cut off for absentee voting requests is the Thursday prior to election day.  The ballot can be voted at the Town Office or mailed to the voter.  When available, requests for absentee ballots can be made up to 30 days prior to Election Day.  For more information, please contact the Town Office.

Q. What do I do about a change of address, name change or if I want to change my party?

A.  Go to the Town Office and fill out a voter registration card with any new changes.  You can also see the Registrar on Election Day to make any necessary changes by filling out the same card.

Q.  Why are there names of people who no longer live in Union still on the voter registration list?

A.  Due to Maine Voter Registration Laws no changes can be made to a voter's registration status without:
1) Written confirmation from the voter 
2) Written notification from the registrar in the voter's new residence
3) Written changes made at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and forwarded to the Town Office
4) Certified death records or obituaries
5) Or, during a National Voter Registration Act voter registration list purge. 

Q.  My parent is deceased but their name is still on the list, why?

A.  Your parent may have passed away in another town, city or State and because they were no longer a resident of Union we did not receive the death certificate and cannot remove the voter's name without proof that the voter no longer resides in Union.