Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)


 What are the Town Office Hours?


CONTACT NUMBER: 207-785-3658          FAX NUMBER: 207-785-3652


Monday through Thursday - 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon and 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. (closed noon to 1 p.m.) and the 1st and 3rd Tuesday until 6:00 p.m.

 What are the Transfer Station Hours?

The Transfer Station is open Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:20 p.m.  The Tri County Solid Waste Management Organization operates independently of the Town, please direct your questions about the transfer station to them directly.

Phone Number: 785-2261


 What is the number for the Animal Control Officer?

The Town's Animal Control Officer is Heidi Blood and she can be reached at (207)322-3237. 

PLEASE NOTE: Problems having to do with wild animals come under the jurisdiction of the game warden who can be reached through the office of the State Police at 1-800-452-4664.

 What is the number for the Union Post Office?

The Union Post Office does not publish their number due to USPS policy.  For all inquires please dial 1-800-275-8777.  The Union Post Office is open Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. and Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

 When do the Select Board meet?

The Select Board meet on the first and third Tuesday of every month at 6:30 p.m.  The meeting is held at the Town Office, in the William L. Pullen Municipal Building Meeting Room.

Select Board meetings are open to the public.  If you have an item you wish to present to the Board, please contact the Town Manager two weeks prior to the meeting to be placed on the agenda. 

 Does Union have a Library?

Yes. The library is located at 392 Common Road.  It is open Tuesdays 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Wednesdays 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Fridays 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., and Saturdays 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.  

Phone: (207)785-4733


 How do I get a burn permit?

Burning Permits are available seven days a week from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. from the Fire Department, fire danger permitting or 

Free Online Burning Permits

Warden's Report 
Visit at 5:00 p.m. or later


Select "New Permit" 
Select your town 
Complete permit application and submit
Be sure to Print, Sign and  
Have Your Permit With You During Your Burn!!


Permitted Burn Times on the Warden's Report:

Sunday 0900 2200
Monday 1700 2200
Tuesday 1700 2200
Wednesday 1700 2200
Thursday 1700 2200
Friday 1700 2200
Saturday 0900 2200

Cooking fires, fires in constructed fireplaces/pits on the property owners land do not require a permit. 
Note:  these fires cannot be a debris burn.

 Is there a food pantry in town?

Yes, it is the Come Spring Food Pantry located at 27 Common Road. Come Spring Food Pantry distributes food on the 2nd & 4th Wednesday of every month from 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. and the 1st Saturday of every month from 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.  (no longer offering curbside pickup but offering the shopping model to all neighbors)

For food assistance please contact Tracy Spaulding at 207-785-6063.  For general inquiries or if you'd like to volunteer, please contact Kristie Kosalski at 207-509-9211, or you can send an email as well. 

General email:
Volunteer email:

 When are property taxes due?

Property taxes for the Town of Union are billed once yearly but are due in two installments, those due dates are always November 15 and May 15. Interest is charged on the unpaid balance after those dates unless those dates fall on weekend or holiday. Please include your bill stub or your account number with your payment to assure proper credit to your acccount.

 When is the Union Fair?

The Town Office does not operate or sponsor the Union Fair in any way.  Please direct your inquiries to the Union Fair directly at (207)785-3281 or visit their website @ for more contact numbers.

 Where can I get driving directions to the Union Fair?

The Town Office does not operate or sponsor the Union Fair in any way, but we have listed the Fair's driving directions for your convenience.

From the North/Northeast:
Take Rt. 3 West from Belfast to Belmont. Turn left on Rt. 131 South to Union (approx. 15 miles). Turn left on Rt. 17, then immediate right (Common Rd.). Union Fairgrounds is on the right, 0.1 mile.

From the East - Camden/Rockland area: Take Rt. 17 West to Union (approx. 12 miles). Turn left on Common Rd., directly across from Union Farm Equipment. Union Fairgrounds is on the right 0.1 mile.

From the South - Coastal Route: Take Rt. 1 North through Waldoboro. Turn left on Rt. 235 North (approx. 1 mile North of Waldoboro village) to Union (approx. 6 miles). At the Union Common, turn left (Common Rd.). Union Fairgrounds is on the left (approx. 0.5 mile).

From the West - Augusta: Take Rt. 17 East, toward Rockland. In Union (approx. 25 miles), turn right on Common Rd, directly across from Union Farm Equipment. Union Fairgrounds is on the right, 0.1 mile.

 Does the Fire Department fill swimming pools?

No, due to insurance liability the Town of Union Fire Department is no longer able to fill swimming pools.

 Where can I get a concealed weapons permit application?

Concealed weapon permit applications are no longer available at the town office.  You can get one by contacting: 

Department of Public Safety
Maine State Police
Special Investigations
164 State House Station
Augusta, Maine 04333-0164

or telephone them at (207) 624-7210. 

The Website is

 Why are their names of people who no longer live in Union still on the voter registration list?

Due to Maine Voter Registration Laws no changes can be made to a voter's registration status without:
1) Written confirmation from the voter 
2) Written notification from the registrar in the voter's new residence
3) Written changes made at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and forwarded to the Town Office
4) Certified death records or obituaries
5) Or, during a National Voter Registration Act voter registration list purge.